NOT JUST FOR ANTIQUE DEALERS ANYMORE!
The “Market of Markets” is pleased to announce new areas for selling stylish vintage and modern goods:
- Do-It-Yourself Estate Sale: IF YOU HAVE BEEN A COLLECTOR AND FEEL IT’S TIME TO UNLOAD SOME OF YOUR TREASURES, WE HAVE SPACE OPTIONS FOR YOU!
- Vinyl Depot: FOR AUDIOPHILES AND COLLECTORS ALIKE, BRING YOUR COLLECTION OR SPECIAL RECORDS TO SHARE AND SELL!
- Global Goods Bazaar: DO YOU HAVE SOMEONE IN THE OLD COUNTRY MAKING COOL ETHNIC TREASURES? DON’T JUST APPRECIATE THEM, SELL THEM!
- Fancy Foods Market: DO YOU HAVE A DELECTABLE, SPECIAL FOOD PRODUCT YOU’D LIKE TO SELL? WHAT AN AUDIENCE TO SAMPLE YOUR TREATS!
Please Note: Any vendor attempting to sell knock off, counterfeit brands or pirated goods for any reason will be immediately expelled from Randolph Street Market and will be subject to fines and police actions.
SALLY’S HOT TIPS FOR VENDORS
For those of you who haven’t been yet, and for those who haven’t witnessed our decadent orgiastic sell-abration lifestyle, you may have seen the pictures or heard a thing or two about the fun we have down there on Randolph Street. Until you’ve been, you really can only imagine it. The great stunts and practical jokes that take place, the general high jinx, the super cool and frequently drop dead gorgeous customers, our 4:20 peace sign to the skies, my golf cart (Barbie meets Captain Morgan) and my yellow and white Cabana (hey, I had to have the biggest house on the block at least somewhere in this world). And the hottest cops Chicago has to offer, loving to us, intimidating to others, with full on studliness, protecting our borders and keeping everyone safe. And everything happens while people are dropping serious loot.
VENDORS: YOU NEED TO SHOW UP PREPARED FOR SUCCESS AT THE RANDOLPH STREET MARKET!
Host your own booth parties, come up with a gimic: Best Gimic Ever — genius antique dealer Denise O’Dell’s world famous Pool Party!! Yes, a baby pool filled with toys, ice, squirt guns, and beverages, you just had to see it to believe what a big deal it was when during a heat wave, we were filmed lounging poolside right in the middle of the street. We made it onto Good Morning America that Sunday! So use your creativity to make your booths talked about, comfortable, inviting and be the host of your shop in the heart of the city!
As it is, my goal is to not only get the customers coming back both days — and quite a few already do — but get them to stay longer, which means more areas for sitting, lounging, drinking. So we are adding two tented bar lounges – one in the P section in the Shade Shack and one at the back of the S section, the brand new Beer Garden & County Fair!! We know people shop more when they are happy so my goal is to give everyone the most fun they’ve ever had shopping while still reaching the audience we all want at our party.
Sally’s Personal Tips for vendors
- It’s the summer so have some flowers in your booth, wear a sun hat, be gardeny
- let your customers know about the beautiful Plumbers Hall building with the great A/C, terrazzo floors, iron work bannisters, three levels of vintage, global goods, antiques, art and Fancy Food Market…and the most amazing WPA mural of a plumber against the Chicago skyline
- remind customers of the FREE downtown furniture delivery (Click here to read & print the furniture delivery flyer!)
- your neighbors are your best friends, you can look out for each other & help create opportunities, so make nice nice
- have your own cooler, offer water, etc to your customers
- have a little seating area or customer chair if you can — the dude or dudette with the wallet may want to sit while their partner shops with you
- twenty-somethings & teens are shopping here too! this group of shoppers is getting larger here each year at RSM. be sure to create prices in your booth that cater to these young lads and lasses! they may not be able to buy the $400 decorative statue, but they want to leave with something too! anything from old art supplies and novelty t-shirts to collectible toys and oddities. I am sure you have that box of things that you think won’t sell! one antique dealer’s trash is an 18 year-old’s treasure.
- have your own mirror if people are trying stuff on, it bugs the crap out of your neighbors if your customers have to come in and use their mirrors and besides, why would you want anyone to have to leave your booth?
- have something on the floor of your booth if you are in the parking lot – if you can, this really helps define your space and keeps your space cooler on black top if it’s a sunny day
- have something that can divert the kids so mom & dad can look around – we give all the kids treasure maps and bubbles but having something curious to look at or touch if you have the room makes your booth kid friendly
create photo ops & great design in your booth so people want to get photographed there & tweet/fb about you
- have a book so people can sign in with their email address, or have a raffle to collect names
go to Kinko’s and print cheapo business cards by the hundred for god’s sake!!!!
- do not leave your wallet, your iphone, your keys anywhere visible
- stay unflappable, ask for help if you need a booth sitter or porter
- let us know if you have a huge vehicle we do not know about, it is vital that you communicate anything that will affect your booth set up or the show
- don’t sit on your butt and eat a hoagie in your booth, it’s very unappetizing ;)))
- as you spruce stuff up this week, email the images to us with description and price, you could sell in advance of the show!
IF YOU HAVE ANY HOT TIPS OF YOUR OWN, PLEASE SHARE! EVERYONE WINS, HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON DOWN AT THE WORLD FAMOUS RANDOLPH STREET MARKET!!!
Lexy and I have found this to be true, RSM is a goldmine!!! We do shows that cost a lot of money..but nothing compared to RSM….as far as return on investment.. And I look at investment ..and the return I get. –Richard Kasvin, Chicago Poster + Print
I’ve done other markets, but they don’t compare to the overall experience and value RSM offers. Vending there has allowed me to meet amazing vendors, get feedback on product offerings and staging and sell to numerous customers who include stylists, fashion designers, interior designers and the buyer for the hit FOX television show Empire. –Kabria Cummings, Global Attic
Selling at RSM has helped me evolve and expand my vintage business. I was ready to grow my business and moving into the city and Randolph was the right move. I learned to change and adapt to what the customers want, but still display with my own aesthetic. Shoppers come to the market hungry for unique, quality, fresh items and if you can offer that, they are there to buy!! –Jocelyn Reimann, The Green Door
I do a lot of shows. Of all the shows I do, Randolph Street Market is one of my favorite. Great location, great venue, great people, and great vibe. Even when it’s not super busy, it’s a great place to spend the weekend. And when it is, I can do quite well. –Steven Lome OMG!, Olive Oil